Sunday, August 26, 2012

Back to School

It's Back to School time, and Little P about ripped my heart out by leaving for 1st grade.



I'll be the first one to say it, I hate working my day around the stupid Kindergarten schedule.  Still, I really miss having this girl around, and things have changed.  I haven't seen one snail all week! 
Here they are, all riding off to elementary school together.  Aren't they cute?  Can't believe Mr. Lamadingdong is almost 12.  6th grade.  

I worry about each child.  I have a special section on my "List of Guilt" for each one of my kids, and most especially for my husband.  One of the many things that keeps me up at night, is the concern that I'll run out of oomph for the youngest.  I already feel myself being slightly fatigued, and not really caring about things that were top priority for the oldest kids (The Kindergarten sight words come to mind.)  I want to keep up some kind of momentum, and not drop the ball with the youngest kids.

Anyway, with that in mind, now that Little K is the oldest one at home, I decided to start a preschool for her and a few of her little friends.

I have my teaching degree, for crying out loud, and I love these little people.  Why not?

Aren't they cute?  Some of them wore their backpack the entire time.

So, Wednesdays and Fridays we're having preschool at my house from 10:00 to 12:00.  We've got about 8 kids, which is just about right.

It starts with a little organized play. Then we do circle time with the calendar, weather bug, story time, introduction of the letter of the day and the theme.  I then tell them the plan for the rest of the day, and we head for the table to do book-work.

 Everyone does one page of alphabet stuff and writes their name and the letter of the day.  Then it's snack time!  Then the craft.  Singing time and a playtime end the session.

Last week we did A is for Ant--learned a little poem, sang ant songs, did an ant craft with egg cartons and pipe cleaners, etc...Then B is for bubble.  We blew bubbles, sang B is for bubble, chewed bubble gum and built buildings with colored Popsicle sticks and tons of sparkle glue.

This week will be C is for cookies, cake and candles (Wed. is my birthday.) and costumes, etc...and then D is for drink and drip--the water cycle.

Anyway, I'm so psyched that the parents will let me have their kids, as I'm pretty sure I'd never do it if it were just Little K, the Caboose and Little A.  (Little A is a sweet little neighbor who comes to play on Wed and Fri each week.)  It's perfect and will be a great way to be THE MOTHER this year.  It also gives Little K something to lord over the older kids and a way to be special.

We're also starting a monthly field-trip playgroup with some friends.  The first field trip is scheduled with Krispy Creme. Should come away with a cool hat and a sugar high!  It's fun to get back into the fall schedule!

3 comments:

Bridget said...

I am so disappointed you moved away and aren't here to inspire me!! Remember, you had less little people when you had more oomph for your growing people (kindergarten sight words were a lot easier when you didn't have laundry for nearly a dozen people...) Its not that you don't have enough oomph...its just that your oomph is spread out amongst more peeps. Give yourself some credit!! :) Love your guts <3

bluestocking mama said...

Aw, I want to send Henry to your preschool!! You are awesome!

B. Slade Photography said...

Ha - I think you had too much oomph to start with. I plan to be equally neglectful to allll my children.