Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Zero is for Play dough

Preschool today.

Now that we've gone through each of the ABCs, I've made some little games, etc. to continue reviewing, and we're moving on to numbers.

We started with big fat 0.

How much does our teacher love play dough?  ZERO!

So that's what we did.

Here's the best recipe I've ever used for just regular play dough.  (Stolen from mommyfootprint.com/the-perfect-home-made-play-dough-recipe/)


Play Dough Recipe:
1 cup white flour
1/2 cup salt
2 tablespoon cream of tartar (find it in the spice section)
1 tablespoon oil
1 cup water
food coloring
Mix first 4 ingredients in a pan. Add water and mix well. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, for 3 – 5 minutes. Dough will become difficult to stir and form a “clump”.  Remove from stove and knead for 5 minutes–add food coloring during kneading process. Play dough will keep for a long time stored in a covered plastic container or plastic sandwich bag.
I made a double batch for 8 children.  Fun times were had by all (but me--I hate that stuff!  It's so dang messy. And salty.  Yuck.)
Next time I'll try one of the edible play dough versions.
Some other fun messes we've made (wish I had pictures):
Finger-painting with pudding
Finger-painting with shaving cream

Blowing pink milk bubbles with straws 
They keep asking to do the milk bubbles again.  I will wait until it's nice outside--we had about 3/4 gallon of milk on the floor when we did it before.  It was unbridled joy, and kept them happy for at least 30 min.
I've been thinking about some things I do to keep myself together.  Preschool, reading and blogging are about it.  I'm lucky that I can do something that uses my talents, makes me happy and still benefits my family and works into my schedule.

1 comment:

The Thompson Family said...

Hey Jeri! I saw your blog through Pam Adams... I love it, you are so darn good at putting posts together! I just wanted you to know that Collin loves coming to preschool and thinks you are the best! Thanks so much for all you do for him:)